Saturday, January 29, 2005

Dr. Jerk-yl and Mr. Hide

*Y, my best guy friend, and I had an altercation this afternoon. It was supposed to be a pleasant chitchat since he actually greeted me happy birthday in advance. Then again, things have their own way of shaping up and one thing led to another and I ended up hanging up on him...

*Y and I have been friends for almost four years now and it wasn't under the most conventional circumstance that we've met. He was introduced to me by my orthodontist/friend *T for me to introduce him to some Chinese girls I knew. *Y at that time was actually looking for a "howe" (girlfriend to us mere mortals). He went to visit *T's clinic during one of my appointments, thus our introduction to each other took place. I never really liked him the first time I spoke with him prior to our meeting. He came across as obnoxious and really really self-absorbed. His favorite line was (and I quote him on this one) "Di naman ako gwapo, di ko naman kamukha si Aga Muhlach, at di rin ako cute. Malakas lang talaga appeal ko sa mga babae." And the first time I heard that I really couldn't help but say "Yeah right, di ka rin naman makapal ano?" To think that it was the first time we spoke to each other over the phone. He was so candid though and seemed so real so I really didn't mind talking to him.

Fastforward to today...Knowing who he really is, seeing him get over a break up, seeing him date other girls and finally move on is such a welcome treat. *Y's relationship with *J is at its most stable these days until two weeks ago when *Y told me that he's been seeing another woman whom I shall call *N. There was nothing serious to it according to him and he was just so smug that it was all N's fault because she knew in the first place that he has a grilfriend. *Y could really be such a jerk sometimes!!! This made me really angry but then I didn't reason with him. Besides, it's his life, he's of age and he can do whatever *f!%@^&! thing he wanted to so long as it makes him happy. And I wanted him to sort it out on his own. Then came the phone call this afternoon. He said "Pinagtataguan ko na yung babae ko Pareng Anne. Ayoko na eh." To which I replied "Good for you. But you need not hide from her you know." And that started the argument. *Y wanted to just disappear without explanations. For him, he didn't hurt anyone so he owed no one an explanation. I was just so disappointed in him that I hung up on him. After all the heartaches the he himself has gone through, I felt that he didn't learn a thing. He asked me as to what my thoughts on the matter were but when I tried to say something, he cut me off. So what's the use? I am in no position to judge him but I cannot bring myself to be sympathetic either. I just wanted to tell him that he should be man enough to face the consequences of his actions. He need not explain *N that it's already over and it's goodbye but he should at least acknowledge that he was wrong and that he had to stop whatever it was that needed to be stopped. He should stop justifying those things that has happened as if it was only *N who was at fault and that the burden's all hers to bear. It's so cowardly to just walk away. It's just so uncharacteristic of *Y to walk away just like that.

Despite the resurrection of the guy from Jerkdom, *Y remains to be my best guy friend and I sincerely wish for his happiness.

No comments: