Friday, February 17, 2006

RV Week 1:

It has been a week since I got here in Rockville and everything seems to fly by so fast. Friday night I flew in through LAX with my team. And then waited until almost midnight to board a flight to Chicago. When we got off the plane when we landed there, it was freezing! The tube felt like a large freezer while we were walking on it towards the arrival area. We then had to rush since we had to find the gate in O’Hare Airport where we would be boarding for our flight to Washington. It took us a whole day to get here so thank God it is over. However, we got a special gift when we arrived since it snowed. We meant to make snow angels but we were just not used to the cold so we had a very brief playtime while it snowed.

This trip has been a revelation for me in terms of the people I work closely with at the office. If there is one thing I really love about this trip, it is the chance for me to get a glimpse of how B*, P*, and S* really are. I have taken note of some conversations we have had while traveling. I have taken note of these for my own amusement so here it goes:

P*: (to S*) Ano lilipad na ba? Lilipad na ba?
S*: Pumpwesto pa yung plane for take-off.
After a few minutes…
P*: (to S*) Lilipad na ba tayo? Ano na?
S*: Gusto mo dito? Window seat para kita mo? Barf bag?
P*: Hinde, okay lang ako. (But continues to fidget on his seat…)

Here are bits and pieces of what transpired when the meal was about to be served:

P*: Pwede bang dalawang servings?
Me: I doubt it. Pero kung may di kumain, malamang pwede naman. The flight attendants seem to be nice.
The flight attendant, a certain Joaquin Garchitorena seemed to overhear us. He was really nice enough to offer P* another serving.
P*: No it’s ok. Thanks. (Turning bashful…)
Me: Ayun naman pala eh. Magpakatotoo ka na P*. Ok naman pala eh. He offered naman na.
P*: No thanks. Pwede na lang yung full can ng Pepsi? (to which the attendant willingly obliged)

While we were preparing for touch down at the LAX…

P*: Ano the OC na ba? OC na ba? (in his unusually loud voice)
I find myself laughing with S* as we continue to be amazed by P*’s reactions to things. We cannot blame him for it was his first airplane ride.

One thing I noticed about P* is that he smells just about anything he lays his hands on. For instance, he smelled his allowance when he encashed his cheque at Citibank. I am not exaggerating but I think it is an unconscious habit on his part. He was just so amusing…I have a lot more to write but I need to crash now or I will not be useful at the office later.

No comments: