Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Bridge Road

I had a very amusing experience last Sunday afternoon while shopping in Bridge Road with friends. N* just got here and we were helping her find a warmer jacket for her to use for the coming weeks she'd be staying here. I, on the other hand, have been looking for some knits that I could use here for layering. After an hour or so of digging my way through heaps and piles of clothing, I got myself a nice beige sweater and a scarf. N* got a very nice sweater as well (I loved the color...it's bluish gray) I lined up at the counter to pay for my purchases. When it was my turn to pay, here's what has tanspired (though not verbatim)...

Cashier: Hi how are you?
Me:Am good, thanks.
Cashier: So what's with the knitwear? (addressed to another cashier then she smiles at me)
Me: Am still not used to Melbourne's crazy weather so I figured I can put to good use this scarf and sweater.
Cashier: Oh don't worry about the weather. Summer's just around the corner and it'd be warmer in no time. Where are you from? I really like your accent.
Me: I come from Manila...and I have an accent?!?
Cashier: OH lovely, Manila...Yeah. You're not aware you have an accent? Its so cute.
Me: Why thanks (flabbergasted sill)...but I do have an accent?
Cashier: Yes sweetie you do...That'd be $49.90.
Me: Here you go. Thanks!
Cashier: See you around!

So now, my Filipino English is officially accentuated, though I know not what to make of it. Hahaha...(By the way, the lady who insisted that I've got an accent looked like the actress who played the young doctor (Megan, if I'm not mistaken) in the movie, Father of the Bride2. ) But for now, I'd content myself with "Cheers mate!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oo nga... ako din may pinoy accent daw. hahaha. :P ~ eLa

Anonymous said...

I tagged you. Answer the meme if you have time.

hahaha p isn't single :P pero binubugaw pa rin namin. R is in HK for a month naman.

Read the rest of the story though if you like. I finished na posting.

I miss you naaaa!! Hi to Neva!

~ eLa